Sunday, July 7, 2013

My Cat’s Diabetes: Research and Our Journey

So I noticed over a few weeks that our oldest and laziest cat, Iggy, was drinking a lot more water, crying to drink the water in my showers and looked as if he lost weight.  So a trip to the vet and I find the issue was diabetes.  Yup I had given or allowed my kitty to develop diabetes.  I can’t believe it.  I asked the vet what this means for him.  Basically it means regular visits to the vet for testing and increasing insulin shots.  We started at .5 units (3/10 a milliliter) once a day and today we are at 4 units twice a day.  Insulin runs at about $160-165 for 100 milliliters.  The costs were adding up and Iggy didn’t seem like himself. 
My Iggy
Iggy is about 8 years old and I hate the idea that this is cutting his life short.  So I turned to the web to research the diagnosis and what the best way to get him healthy, and possibly off the insulin.  There is a good deal of data out there on cat health and diabetes on a few great sites (listed below).  Basically type 2 diabetes occurs in cats and dogs for the same reason it does in humans, poor diet.  However, cats and dogs don’t have the same dietary need as humans do.  They are 100% carnivores.  Their digestive track is short to allow them to process and get the nutrition they need from the animals they eat quickly.  They need to flush the meat from their system quickly so it doesn’t rot within them.  They don’t have a need for many carbohydrates or fiber.  Humans on the other hand have much longer digestive tracks.  We use them to get as much nutrition out of our omnivore diets.  We need the fiber to help us process and push the unused food out of our bodies.  On a side note women have about 1 foot longer small intestine then men.  I hypothesis this is due to our hunter gather history.  As men went off on long hunting trips their bodies developed shorter intestines to process the animal meat they caught.  And as women stayed back in the village they foraged the land for vegetation and to get all of the nutrition from the vegetation they developed longer small intestines.
A little on cat’s nutrition: cats require a high protein, low fat, low carb diet and they get most of their water from their food.  They also require Taurine.  Taurine is an amino acid that is found in animal’s digestive systems and is essential for metabolizing fat.  It is found in many energy drinks for this very reason.  Because cats don’t often seek out and drink water, many people say they feed their pets wet food.  However, the dry food cleans their teeth better.  Even some people make their own pet food.  One lady I read about grinds up rabbit and chickens for her cats and freezes the meat for meals.  As a vegetarian I knew I would not be handling animal carcasses anytime soon.   The 3 articles from Cats.About are a really good read to help you understand what is and isn’t in cat food and what you want to look for and stay away from.  Stay away from the byproducts, the meat meal (chicken meal etc), fiber and corn and soy.  Also you want as much lean protein as possible.  I researched a ton of different foods.  I was feeding the cats Iams then the vet switched us to Hills Science Diet.  I found that both are loaded in fillers and animal products.  I compared all the name brands and those that advertise being healthier (Paul Newman and Blue Buffalo).  The product I found is to be best is Orijen.  It is food fit for people.  All free ranged, free from antibiotics and no fillers and is processed within days of slaughter.  It is a dry food that my local Jack’s carries at about $55.00 for 15lbs.  This is about $10 more than the Hills Science Diet and more than twice the cost of the Iams.  However, it should pay off in happy and healthy cats, reduced vet bills and, fingers crossed, no more need for insulin. 
Here are my cat’s starting weights. I believe that Mya could lose at least a lb.  She is sedentary and chunky.  Nero is lean and athletic but could stand to lose a few ounces.  
Kitty
Weight 7-7-2013
Iggy
12.1
Nero
13.9
Mya
13.3


Iggy is on insulin so I don’t want to make any dramatic changes to his diet.  We are slowly mixing in the new food for about a week.  Next week I take him to the vet to see if his numbers changed.  We will begin to test his blood at home instead of going to the vet regularly.  I know this is a bit more than what most people can handle.  However, there is no easy way to know exactly how much insulin Iggy will need each day without testing his blood sugar.  You can test your cat’s blood sugar with a home testing no different from the ones diabetic patient.  I researched many different devices.  The device is typically the cheapest part and the test strips tend to add up fast.  Look for one that has cheap test strips, high level of accuracy and doesn’t require much blood.   When looking at lancets you will want to find one that is not the largest gauge but not the smallest.  Key is it will be hard to keep your cat still for long enough to get the prick and the blood you need.  So below is what I found through my research.  I chose Target’s Up & Up.



I have high hopes that this diet change will help him and get him off insulin.  More to come!
Resources:


No comments:

Post a Comment