Thursday, April 25, 2013

Vegan Challenge Week 5

Happy Late Earth Day!  Earth Day marks week 5 vegan.  I love Earth Day and what better way to celebrate it than by being vegan!  One of the lowest impact diets to the planet!
This year I was given the opportunity to teach a 35 minutes session on Sustainability with a co-worker on Monday to a few interested peers.  The session went well.  But when the topic is saving money while doing something good for the planet, it tends to get people’s attention.  I also organized my team’s participation on my site’s Earth Day Fair and worked on the overall Earth Day team for my site.  Yes I am a bit of an overzealous tree hugger! And I am very proud of my team’s effort in Earth Day Fair.  With a few suggestion I organized my team, Energy Purchases, booth.  We educated co-workers on what we are doing for the company, what they can do to save money on their utility bill and even what is the best light bulb.  I enjoyed 2 things. 
1.       Watching people’s face as I explained how they can save money (I was just after the energy conservation which leads to a little less CO2 while they were after the savings).
2.       The fact that I was able to show my manager what a value our participation can bring to the company.  He also enjoyed watching people’s face after we promised to save them money and the sense of community it brought.  As I knew it would J

So now I am back into the routine of work and vegan.  This week has been one of the hardest.  And not because I have cravings or anything but because I am fighting off a cold or something and I am just exhausted.  I am not really sure what I have so everyone says ‘are you getting enough protein or sugar?’  ha what can you do? 
Today marks 1 week till I give blood and plan to end the vegan only diet.  Ironically I got a letter in the mail asking me to donate blood and that they need my type.  Silly Hoxworth, I am scheduled for May 2nd.  What I like about this vegan challenge is that I no longer crave chocolate and cheese as I once did and that I know I can do it and be fine.  So you may read this and say ‘but Valerie you keep mentioning that you don’t feel very good’ yes that is true, however I have stopped taking birth control and been trying for a baby.  Most women experience similar symptoms as I have when they give up birth control. 

Anyway I hope my experience helps you try vegan and not shy away!

No comments:

Post a Comment