Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Week 4 - Gone Vegan

                I have made it to week four of my vegan challenge only I didn’t really make it.  I enjoyed cheese and eggs Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I had planned on doing this due to our plans to go to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky with nine other friends.  I could have committed and skip the Miguel’s Pizza but that feels like a sin when I only get the chance to have it once or twice a year.  Excuses excuses….  So I am back on the wagon and vegan world again.  Week four was kind of hard to get back into the routine but not bad.  I am keeping my eyes on May 2.  That is the day I will be giving blood and get a chance to look at my cholesterol.  I will also do all the same tests I did several weeks ago.  I am hoping for a bit of change.  I have not really seen any changes in my weight, so I will be curious if there will be other benefits. 
                I had intended to begin juicing after returning from the Red River Gorge.  It is a big commitment and I haven’t had a chance to begin.  I have been busy starting my seedlings and getting caught up from work and tasks around the house.   So that is my plan to begin that soon. I need to remind myself how great I feel when I juice.
I had hoped that trying vegan I would begin feeling better.  This makes about 8 weeks since I haven’t had a good night sleep.  It is getting the best of me.  I am feeling run down, unmotivated and a bit loopy.  I want to change this!  So I have been watching my gluten intake but not as closely as possible.  I find it hard to go vegan and gluten free.
                Are you interested in the Red River Gorge?  Well it is part of the Daniel Boone National Forest.  It is 2.5-3 hours south of Cincinnati.  If you like hiking, climbing, camping or repelling, you need to go to the park.  It is a beautiful place.  We try to go a few times a year.  This trip we did 3 hikes and 2 I have never done before.  We hiked to Natural Bridge, climbed through the rock at Cloud Splitter, and then Sunday before we headed home we hit up Indian Staircase.  I have some pictures.  This was a great trip because we did a few of those ‘secret trails’.  Most trails are on maps and in books but there are a few not widely advertised.  Possibly because they are a bit dangerous.  We luckily had a few experienced hikers to help, people like me, get through some of them.

Cloud Splitter




The view after climbing through Cloud Splitter
 


Indian Staircase
 


Looking up at my friends at Indian Staircase
 

No comments:

Post a Comment